Variations on a Theme
All times are UK
Duration in Hrs
1) The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company: A Rollicking Band Of Pirates We
2) Uffa Fox: Snug Little Island
3) Seafret: Oceans
4) Kate Bush: Nocturne
5) Ricky Montgomery: Line Without A Hook
6) Bobby Darin: Beyond the Sea
7) The Pogues: When The Ship Comes In
8) The Waterboys: Fisherman’s Blues
9) The Beatles: Yellow Submarine
10) Pearl Jam: Oceans
11) Flogging Molly: The Heart Of The Sea
12) Florence + The Machine: Ship To Wreck
13) Thievery Corporation: Sweet Tides
14) Sex Pistols: Friggin in the Rigging
15) Blondie: The Tide is High
16) The Dropkick Murphy’s: I’m Shipping Up To Boston
17) Erasure: Ship of Fools
18) Elvis Costello & the Attractions: Shipbuilding
19) Flock of Seagulls: edI Ran
20) Billy Eilish: Ocean Eyes
21) Simple Minds: Waterfront
22) Samuel Wright: Under the Sea (Little Mermaid Soundtrack)
23) Masked Wolf: Astronaut In The Ocean
24) Mumford & Sons: Feel The Tide
25) The xx: Tides
26) Billy Joel: Downeaster Alexa
27) Ween: Ocean Man
28) The Police: Message In A Bottle
Born into middle-class squalor in Ireland, the youngest of five girls, I was my parent’s last chance to create perfection.
Tiring of rain-soaked greenery, my parents decided a change of environment was needed, so we headed to the north Highlands of Scotland, which proves my parents had an odd sense of irony.
Hoping that the gold-paved streets of Canada would offer solace, we packed up and went west. We arrived in Calgary, Alberta just in time for the recession of 1981.
It was in Canada that I developed my love of music as the winters are very long and nothing beats the blues like a jaunty tune.
I even took a foray into being in a band. We performed world music with a rumba flamenca infusion and for a brief moment, we lived the dream.
Working in industries as diverse as oil & gas, architecture & interior design, Family Law and healthcare, I learned that despite our differences, we still need coffee to function.
Upon entering my dotage, I returned to the UK, single, flat broke and none the wiser…